Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How sad that man's capacity for evil even surprises God


That kind of goes against the idea of an all seeing, all knowing, omniscient God, doesn't it?  But here it is.  Take a look.

Jeremiah 32:35(NKJV)
35And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.

Now what should we make of that?  Does that shake my belief in an "all knowing God"?  Not really and here is why.

One of the things I admire most about God is His respect for free will.  God could easily just make us all do what He wants us to do.  But He doesn't do that.  He respects our free will. 

Now I don't care how all knowing you are, if you are going to let millions of others make their own choices it is going to be hard to anticipate everything.  So for me at least, I can see where God might be taken by surprise here and there.  Doesn't bother me a bit. 

What I do find sad though is that man's capacity for evil took God by surprise. 

I'd like to point out one other thing.  Notice that while God allows free will, God doesn't alter his standards to "accommodate" free will.  What I mean is that to God, good is still good and evil is still evil.

I think some in modern day Christianity could learn from that example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment