Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Do Christians have an obligation to take in Syrian refugees?



The short answer is no I don't believe we do.  But let's dig into this a bit deeper.  As always I want to take a look at Scripture.  I happen to be in Revelation and found something that I think is relevant. 

Just so we are all on the same page let me summarize.  There is a war in Syria.  Many refugees, mostly Muslim but some Christian as well. 

The enemy, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), has made it very clear that in their view this is a religious war.   They have stated their intention to hide among the refugees in an attempt to infiltrate this country and kill our citizens. 

Not only have they threatened to do  so here, but they have actually done it elsewhere.  In Paris around 150 people were killed this past week by terrorists, some of whom came in to the country as refugees.  In addition there have been other ISIS terrorists caught in other cities hiding among the refugees.  So this is more than just an idle threat.

Quite understandably there are many people that say hey, why bring that nonsense and chaos over here?  We don't want to expose our families, our children and our grand children to that risk.

There are some out there who say that isn't very Christian of us not to let them in.  Christ said that we should love every body and not letting them in isn't very loving.  I would counter with this. 

We are told to love God will all of our mind, heart, and soul.   We are then told to love our neighbor as ourselves.  I would suggest that it isn't very loving to our neighbors to expose them to the risk.

But what about all of the "innocent" refugees who aren't the bad guys. 

The fact that they are letting the terrorists hide among then negates their innocence in my opinion.  The Bible tells us that we are to confront evil, and not to do so makes us just as guilty.  The fact that they aren't turning in the bad guys hiding among them tells me either they don't see them as evil or they are failing in their responsibility to confront evil. 

Either way that forfeits the innocent claim.  And that isn't just my opinion, it is what God said in the Bible.  Just think of Sodom and Gomora where the innocent perished with the guilty because the innocent didn’t do enough to stop the evil.
 
But going further I think the problem is this.  Many people, including many Christians, think Jesus is all love and no hate.  Accepting of everything and punishing nothing.  That there should be absolutely no limit to our charity.  Nothing could be further from the truth.   

I have written in the past of specific Scriptures that say not to provide charity in this or that case. 

In a similar fashion there are many who would say that Jesus doesn't hate anything.  I will show you Scripture in a minute where Jesus Himself names something that He hates.

 Lets take a look.

Revelation 2:12-16(NKJV)
“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write, ‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: 
“I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. 
But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. 
Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. 
Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

One of the things that the Bible makes very clear is that God views any one who worships another god as His enemy.  They have made that choice and declared themselves enemies of God. 

I believe that Jesus is making the same point above.  Jesus says he hates  other religions and He will actively take up the Sword (of His mouth) against those who follow other gods…….unless.

Unless what?  Unless they repent.  Do you see the Syrian Muslim refugees repenting and accepting Christ?  Neither do I. 

Seems to me that trying to convince us that the Bible says we should let people who have stated their intentions to kill us in to our country out of some misguided sense of compassion is just the type of trick Satan would use. 

Let me be clear that I am not against providing help to some of the refugees who are truly in need.  I just think we should take the time to determine who those people are.  I don't think not letting them in immediately in any way makes us less Christian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment