Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Oh well, add this one to the list of things to ask God about when I get there! :)


Here is a section of Scripture that I just don't get.  And it is one of those sections where those who say that the Bible doesn't contain a single contradiction have a hard time explaining away. 

Now before I go on let me once again provide a disclaimer and explanation.  As I have said before, the Bible is a book of balance.  To get the full meaning you have to take it in it's entirety.  Not any single verse by itself has any real authority. 

I also try to always look for confirmation between the OT and NT.  In addition when I have to compare something that Jesus said to what one of the Apostles said, I always place more importance on what Jesus said.

Take a look and then I will continue.

2 John 1:9-11(NKJV)
Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 
for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

The first sentence makes perfect sense to me as does the 2nd.  It the rest of it that makes me wonder. 

"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;  "

Really?  So if some one isn't a Christian I shouldn't even let them into my house?  I shouldn't even say hi?  Simply saying hi makes me as evil as the non believer?

What happened to all of that love your enemy stuff?  What happened to all of that love your neighbor stuff?  Or how about this?  What happened to this?
 
Mark 2:15-17(NKJV)
Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi’s house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him. 
And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?”
When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

If I had to guess I would guess that the differentiation that was not made here he is talking about your inner circle of friends vs. your witnessing and outreach activities.  But it just isn't clear. 

In fact even then I would still have some trouble with this because how many of us have seen unsaved become saved through the friendships that have been built over the years?  It seems to me the verses in 1 John 2 are telling us not to do that. 

Oh well, add this one to the list of things to ask God about when I get there!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment