Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2016

Does forgiveness require repentance?


This is an issue that I have ran across twice recently.  Take a look at these Scriptures.

Luke 17:1-4(NKJV)
Then He said to the disciples, “It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come! 
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. 
Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 
And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.”

Luke 13:2-5(NKJV)
And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? 
I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 
Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? 
I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

I guess I would say yes and no.  Here is what I mean by that.  I think that to receive eternal life, repentance is required.  I think Scripture makes that pretty clear.  As I have written many times, no kumbaya, live and let live Jesus.  

But what about on a personal level?  I think that is totally different.  While I don't think that we are required to forgive if repentance is not offered, I think it is a good idea to do so.  It just isn't good to carry around animosity and resentment. 

Forgive freely and easily in my opinion but let me make something clear.  Voluntary forgiveness does not mean opening yourself up to be used.  I'm talking about people who would try to guilt you into doing something.  As an example "If you really forgave me you would pay my rent for me."  and things like that.

Forgive someone like that?  Absolutely.  Give in to their emotional extortion?  Only if you are a fool.  Scripture doesn't require that!

No comments:

Post a Comment