Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Can you rule with an iron fist and still be loving?


I only ask because this is what it says about Jesus in Revelation 12.  That he will rule with an iron fist.

Revelation 12:5(NKJV)
She bore a male Child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her Child was caught up to God and His throne. 

One of the things I write about a lot is what I believe is the incorrect portrayal of Jesus.  There seems to be a portrayal, even in some main stream churches, of Jesus as being so forgiving and full of love that in the end everyone goes to heaven whether they accepted Jesus or not because  Jesus would never actually send anyone to hell because he is too loving.  :)

That he is all "kumbaya" and no "fire and brimstone", if you will.

I don't think that view is supported by Scripture and that is why I keep pointing it out.  As I've said before, I think one of the biggest problems in the church today is the watering down of the message.  Kumbaya Jesus is a big part of what I am talking about. 

And once again what bothers me most about what is being done is it doesn't follow the ministry example that Jesus Himself set.  When people chose not to follow Jesus did you see Him following them around and trying to talk them in to it?  Did you see Him weakening the message?  Did Jesus say "Tell you what, you don't really have to accept me to get in to Heaven, just try to be a good person and we'll call it even and let you in anyway?"? 

No.  Jesus accepted their free will choice and moved on.  He left the door open for them to change their mind.  He didn't wish them any ill will but He didn't waste any more of his time on them. 

In fact if you take John 17:9-10 seriously it says that once they rejected Jesus and chose the world, Jesus doesn't even pray for them anymore.  Can you imagine that? 

John 17:9-10(NKJV)
“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 
And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 

So I went through all of that to bring you to this question.  Can Jesus rule with an iron fist and still be loving???   Or does one negate the other? 

Interesting question isn't it?  It is also an important question in my opinion.  Why?  Because in today's modern culture, any attempt to impose order and following of the law is described by some as acts of hate (the opposite of love).  And those who support the restoration of order are called hateful and unchristian.

So my question is, at the point that Jesus switches from loving to ruling with an iron fist, does he become hateful and unchristian too?   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment