Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2017

Did you know Jesus said He doesn't pray for everyone?


Here is a verse that few seem to want to comment on.  This is Jesus speaking and he very clearly says that He doesn't "pray for the world but for those you have given me, …". 

What do you think that means?  The modern view seems to be that Jesus loves everybody and prays for everybody.  Jesus himself says nope, He doesn't pray for everybody.  Read the actual Scripture and then I'll give my take.

John 17:9-10(NKJV)
“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 
And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 

OK, this goes back to my belief that the modern church doesn't practice ministry the way Jesus intended.  I think the church today spends way too much time watering down the message and trying to "appeal to more people". 

If you look at the way Jesus did ministry He gave the message.  He didn't water it down.  You were free to believe or not believe.  When skeptics tried to trap Jesus with insincere questions you'll notice that Jesus didn't play their game.  He didn't try to convince them or talk them in to believing.  

Here is how I see it.  I think Jesus prays that all get to hear the message and get a chance to make the choice to follow Jesus or not to follow Jesus.  As I have said before, once someone rejects Jesus I believe they have declared themselves an enemy of God.  In other words they remain "of the world".

If you look at what Jesus says from that frame of reference I think it makes perfect sense.  Jesus is simply saying he doesn't waste His prayers on those who have rejected Him.  They are free to come back to Jesus and He will take them back if they do but until then they have made a choice and Jesus isn't going to waste His prayers on them. 

Jesus is instead going to focus His prayers on those who follow Him.  They are heirs in Christ.  To me that makes total sense.  Why would anyone think it odd that those who rejected Christ don't get the same benefits as those who have chosen Christ and are heirs with him?   To me that is just simple common sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment