Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2017

How many of us are really prepared to do this?


How many of us are really prepared to do this?

1 Peter 3:15(NKJV)
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; 

How many of us are really "ready to give a defense" of why we believe in Jesus? 

As I have said before, Bible is a book of balance, etc.  This verse is a good example when compared to other verses like this one. 

Mark 13:11(NKJV)
But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 

Those two seem to be contradictory don't they?  I have always leaned to the Mark verses in this regard.  I figured God would put the words in my mouth as He saw fit.  But as I look at the Mark verse in view of the 1st Peter verse I can see that I need to modify that a bit.

1st Peter says "be ready".  Another way to day that would be "be prepared".  If we are prepared then aren't we premeditating?  Yes we are to a certain extent.  I think the way to balance this out is being prepared means having a general idea of what you would say to "give a defense". 

Here is what I mean.  I have written before that I think the single best way to witness is to share what God has actually done in our own personal lives.  I just don't think being "Billy Bible" and beating people over the head with Scriptures is an effective way to witness.  Scripture obviously has to be part of it but I think the personal witness is the most persuasive. 

With that in mind I know that when I need to "give a defense" it will tend to be through personal witness.  In other words I have an idea of the direction I will take.  But I don't have it planned out word for word like a script.  I leave it to God to pick and choose which personal experiences I share because only He knows which ones will be most effective in any given situation.

Make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment