Search This Blog

Thursday, January 4, 2018

An observation on the "Saintly Poor"


The poor shall inherit the earth.  Isn't that what Scripture says?  The meek also get thrown in there as well.

As I have written before, I think that idea is often misinterpreted.  A lot of people use that verse to excuse all manner of indiscretion of the poor because after all God must really favor them if they are going to inherit the earth right?  A lot of people also use that as an excuse for their own poverty.  They wear their disdain of wealth as a badge of honor.  

Here is my observation.

How come none of the promises of being a Christian are that we will be poor and meek?  Here is the verse that triggered this observation.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14(NKJV)
Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong
Let all that you do be done with love.

This is Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians.  He is telling them stand fast in the faith and be brave and strong. 

What???  Why isn't he admonishing them to be weak and poor if that is indeed the "saintly standard"? 

In Malachi God challenges us to give our tithe.  And what happens if we do?

Malachi 3:8-10(NKJV)
    “Will a man rob God?      Yet you have robbed Me!     But you say,     ‘In what way have we robbed You?’     In tithes and offerings.
    You are cursed with a curse,     For you have robbed Me,     Even this whole nation.
    Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,     That there may be food in My house,     And try Me now in this,”     Says the Lord of hosts,     “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven     And pour out for you such blessing     That there will not be room enough to receive it.

God says if you put Him first with our tithing then God will bless us beyond measure.  Once again, if poor is the "saintly standard" why is God blessing them more and more instead of making them poorer and poorer?  Hmm?

Or how about this one from Jesus Himself?

Matthew 25:24-30(NKJV)
“Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 
And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
“But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 
So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 
So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 
And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Did Jesus hold up the poorest of the three as a shining example?  Why not?  Once again, could it be that people have misinterpreted the poor shall inherit the earth verses? 

Let me wrap up with this one.

3 John 1:2-4(NKJV)
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 
For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. 
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Here we have the apostle John praying that believers should prosper in all things even as their soul prospers.  Why would he pray for believers to prosper in all things if the "saintly poor" is the true spiritual objective?  Hmm?

Interesting observation isn't it?  A good subject for further study!










No comments:

Post a Comment