Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

For He Taught Them As One Having Authority


Mark 1:22(NKJV)
22And they were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Have you ever met someone who "taught as one having authority"?  What exactly does that mean?  I have met someone like that and so I'll explain what I think it means.

In my mind it means someone that has not just the book knowledge but the heart knowledge.  In other words they have read and studied it so much that it has become a part of them.  They know the subject so well that they can speak with authority without notes.

Years ago we had a missionary speak at our church.  His name was Dave Greene.  He had been a missionary in Africa for 30-40 years.  He was leading us in a Bible study.   He told us to follow along as he read such and such a passage.  I looked up and he wasn't really reading.  He knew it by heart.  A little later the same thing happened.  To me that is a great example of someone who teaches with authority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment