Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What Proof Do You Have?


Yesterday I asked the question "What Is the True Evidence Of Your Faith?".  Today I'd like to ask "What proof do you have?". 

I was reading in the 5th Chapter of Mark today and in a very short space Jesus told someone to have faith and to believe.  I looked both of those words up and they have much the same meaning.  They both refer to having faith or believing in something with no "real" proof to back it up.

As we try to reach those who don't know Jesus, one of the questions is what proof do we have?  That's a tough question to answer, especially because a lot of people are skeptical. 

We can show them the Bible.  In our lives it represents the Word of God.  To others it is just a book.  You and I both know that there are enough little inconsistencies in there that if someone is looking for a reason to doubt they will find one. 

Now you and I know that there is historical evidence of Jesus' existence independent of the Bible.  And if someone were truly willing to take the time to do an in depth study I think they would come to see that as well.  The problem is that takes time and commitment and most people just aren't that interested.  So what should we do?

As I've said before, I think the personal testimony is one of the most effective witnessing tools we have.  What kind of real life difference has believing in Jesus made in my life?  How is my life tangibly better with Jesus than without? 

You see until we can answer "what's in it for them" the proof generally won't matter.  But once they are ready for some proof, what do we have to offer that is short and sweet and can get them interested in learning more?

I think it goes right back to the personal testimony.  What is it that convinced you?  I think we all have stories where we can look back in our lives and see things come together in a way that are too much to be circumstantial.  We can look back and know without a shadow of a doubt that God intervened in our lives for the better.

Yeah but won't I sound foolish?  Maybe.  But let me ask this.  Do you think believers are the only ones that see where God has intervened in their lives?  Or do you think it is possible that many out there who aren't believers have experienced that same thing?  They just never connected it with God.  To hear you make that connection may be all the "proof" they need.  Just to hear you express something that they sensed deep down inside but didn't know what to call it, may be all that is needed to make that connection.  That is the proof they are looking for.

So have some fun and spend a little time looking back in your life and remembering those times where you can see God intervened.  Relive those times.  Thank and praise God for those times.  Now remember those times and share them next time you get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment