Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Lesson In "You Never Know"


There are a couple of lessons here.  Let me set the backstory.  Haman has a thing against the Jews and has spread a plan far and wide to kill them.  Unbeknownst to the King, Queen Esther is Jewish.  Mordecai is also Jewish.  Haman hates Mordecai and has built a gallows to hang Mordecai on.  Queen Esther has given a feast at which time she plans on trying to save all the Jews.

Esther 7:1-2(NKJV)
1So the king and Haman went to dine with Queen Esther. 
2And on the second day, at the banquet of wine, the king again said to Esther, “What is your petition, Queen Esther? It shall be granted you. And what is your request, up to half the kingdom? It shall be done!”

So here the King asks Queen Esther what he can do for her. 

Esther 7:3-4(NKJV)
3Then Queen Esther answered and said, “If I have found favor in your sight, O king, and if it pleases the king, let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request. 
4For we have been sold, my people and I, to be destroyed, to be killed, and to be annihilated. Had we been sold as male and female slaves, I would have held my tongue, although the enemy could never compensate for the king’s loss.”

She tells him what she wants.  Here is the first lesson.  Be kind to everyone because you may be surprised at who has the power to influence your life for both good and bad. 

Esther 7:6(NKJV)
6And Esther said, “The adversary and enemy is this wicked Haman!” So Haman was terrified before the king and queen.

Haman was sur surprised!

Esther 7:8-10(NKJV)
8When the king returned from the palace garden to the place of the banquet of wine, Haman had fallen across the couch where Esther was. Then the king said, “Will he also assault the queen while I am in the house?” As the word left the king’s mouth, they covered Haman’s face. 
9Now Harbonah, one of the eunuchs, said to the king, “Look! The gallows, fifty cubits high, which Haman made for Mordecai, who spoke good on the king’s behalf, is standing at the house of Haman.” Then the king said, “Hang him on it!”
10So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then the king’s wrath subsided.

The second lesson is that I think this is a good illustration of the saying, "Give a man enough rope and he can hang himself"  Haman had built the gallows but had never imagined that he would be the one swinging on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment