Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Don't Compare Your Walk With Jesus to Others!


 
John 21:17-22(NKJV)
17He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of £Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. 
18Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” 
19This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”
20Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 
21Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
22Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

Imagine how Peter felt.  He is one of Jesus' most loyal followers.  Jesus has just told Peter what he expects Peter to do after Jesus ascends into heaven and Jesus has also just told Peter how Peter is going to die and it ain't going to be pleasant.

Peter looks around and sees one of the other disciples.  Peter's going "Hey what about him?  How come he gets off so easy?  How come he doesn't have to go through what I have to go through."  I'm sure you can understand why Peter might feel this way.  What was Jesus' response? 
 
22Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

Let that be a lesson to all of us.  We shouldn't compare out walk with Jesus to others.  It's easy to look around and go "man I do way more for God than that person does.  How come their life is going so much better.  It isn't fair!"

As my kids heard when they grew up, "So what, nobody said life was fair!"

There is nothing in the Bible that says all Christians will be treated fairly and equally.  We all get salvation for the same reason.  That is where the equality stops.  Based on many many factors, God has a different plan for each one of us.  Some of us will be required to suffer more than others.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe we have the faith to do it where others faith may not be that strong yet. 

In that case, who would provide a greater testimony to God?  Someone who suffers yet displays a solid faith through the whole thing or someone who suffers a little and then abandons God?

Remember that God likes a cheerful giver.  That isn't just about money.  It is about how cheerfully you surrender your whole life to Jesus, even in the tough times!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! The DeWolf family is one of the best testimonies to this. God has allowed their family to suffer so much, yet they have stayed so strong in their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Sweetie! They truly have set a wonderful example. We wonder why God would allow something like this to happen to someone as good as Paul. As a gifted Doc he would have touched so many people. But you know what? Maybe Paul's death will have impacted more people for the Kingdom of God than he ever would have been able to do in his whole lifetime if he had lived.

    Only God knows for sure but I trust God and that His plan is being fulfilled, even through Paul's death.

    I remember talking with Luke the day after he had to go out and scrape up the bodies of Gilbert and Thornsbury. Luke was really angry. I suggested trying to look at it from God's point of view. We as humans miss those how have died, maybe even more so when they die tragically.

    But God's sitting there going "What's the problem? Paul was one of my favorites. He had already done so much for the Kingdom that I decided to cut the kid a break. I just let him out of going through 50, 60, maybe 70 years of BS on earth. He's already up here with me at rest and we're having a great time!"

    We all say that Paul is in a better place but do we really believe that? Looking at it this way, for me at least, helps me see that Paul is in a better place and I should be happy for him. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete