Search This Blog

Friday, November 1, 2013

Even Jesus Used A Little Showmanship


Excerpt from a Newsboys song.
--------------------------------
I dunno what goes down the moment we die
Do we get halos & harps? Do we sleep? Do we fly? I dunno
How, when and why this world will finally end,
Speculation’s gonna grow, who knows best, I dunno
I dunno if I should push ahead or stop and grieve,
I lie awake and wonder how to make a city believe,
I dunno when it's a ministry and when it's a show
Maybe neither, maybe both, I dunno, but this one thing I know

--------------------------------

I attend a very dynamic church, Valley Family Church.  It's what many would consider a mega church.  I think we have over 3500 members. 

As many of the big churches do, we have a very talented music and worship team.  Our church is set up like an auditorium more than a church, with a big stage.  We have all the lighting, video, and audio capabilities of a small television station.

Our church services are quite a production.  I am blessed to serve on the video team running one of the cameras.  There are some that criticize a worship service like ours as being to flashy and not real church.  I even used to wonder a little bit about it myself.  I think the Newsboys lyrics above express the question very well.

And then I ran across this Scripture

John 11:40-44(NKJV)
40Jesus said to her, “Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” 
41Then they took away the stone £from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 
42And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.” 
43Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” 
44And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Loose him, and let him go.”

Seems that even Jesus knew the value of a little showmanship and used that technique Himself from time to time. 

Guess I don't need to worry about that anymore!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment