Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Great Advice From 1 Timothy



Wow, lots of great advice from 1 Timothy 6.  I'm going to highlight and comment.

1 Timothy 6:6-10(NKJV)
6Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 
7For we brought nothing into this world, £and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 
8And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 

The first thing that strikes me is God telling us that as long as we have food and clothing, we should be content.  Does that mean we should settle?  I don't think so.  We are taught to strive for excellence, to win the race as Paul says.  I think it just means that from a financial perspective, we should be content with what we have.  As we strive for excellence, we most likely will earn more and that is OK because we weren't doing it for the money, the money was just a consequence of excelling at what we do.

9But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 
10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Here is where it is reiterated that we should be motivated by doing the right thing, not out of a lust for money.  There is nothing wrong about having money in and of itself as long as you keep it in it's proper perspective.

How do we do that?  I think the next verses from 1 Timothy give us a good idea.

1 Timothy 6:17-19(NKJV)
17Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. 
18Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 
19storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

I personally find I pretty easy.  I just constantly remind myself that it is because of God that I have what I have.  He is the one who gave me the intellect and the abilities to accomplish what I have accomplished so far in life.  It was all accomplished with His guidance.

Therefore, anything I have, God is welcome to it.  The Scripture above tells us that if we follow God, He will bless us richly, including wealth.  That wealth is given to us as a tool to serve Him.  If we are "rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,…", God blesses us even more!

Now that is easy to say but a bit tougher to put into practice.  Wait til the first time God says to you "Hey, you know that $1,000 you got sitting in your savings account?  I need it.  Cut me a check please.".

Man you talk about a come to Jesus moment.  God will give you a chance to prove what you claim.  My advice to you is that if you really believe that God is telling you to give, then give without hesitation or regret.  Just simply trust God.  I promise you that He won't let you down.  You just simply can't out give the giver. 

After you do it the first time, God will occasionally call on you again.  It get's easier and easier to write that $1,000 check.  Then one day out of the blue God will up the ante.  "Hey, you know that $10,000 that is sitting in your savings account?  I need it."    :)

Did he ever fail you when giving Him the $1,000?  No.  Then step out on faith for the larger amount.  You will never be sorry if you always answer God's call!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment