Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

This is just so weird!


There are a few things in the Bible that I just find weird.  This is one of them.

1 Timothy 2:8-15(NKJV)
8I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 
9in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 
10but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 
11Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 
12And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 
13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 
14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 
15Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

I just don't see much difference here from what the Muslims teach about their women. 

The other thing that strikes me about it is how it is completely ignored or rationalized away by modern day Christianity. 

Now let me be perfectly clear.  I don't think women should have to learn in silence.  I think women have plenty to teach.  I don't get why this is even in the Bible. 

That being said, it is in the Bible.  It says what it says.  And yet we have many great Christian women out there teaching and preaching today.  The church I attend is led by a husband and wife team and I think it is great. 

The problem I have with it is that so many will tell you that the Bible is the inherent and infallible Word of God and yet they will totally ignore an inconvenient passage like this. 

Just seems hypocritical to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment