Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Tools


Today I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite tools for studying the Bible.  It is a program called Microsoft OneNote.

Here is what I love about one note.  It helps me separate Scripture into categories that interest me.  I can add a new category at any time.  As an example I am going to start tracking the Promises of God.  So I create a new tab called Promises of God.

Now any time during my Bible reading when I run across any Scripture that reveals a promise of God, I can cut and paste that Scripture to the Promises of God tab where I can make comments on it.  That way over time I will have a tab that lists all of the Promises of God in one place.

Here are some of the other categories I am currently tracking:

Soloman's Credentials
Success Scripture
Contradictions
Charity
Actively Against
Proportional Rewards
Just Don't Get It
Jesus the Strong
God Hates
Thou Shall Not Judge
…………..

There are several more, but you get the idea.  Now here is how I use them.  Let's take Thou Shall Not Judge.  One of the most misunderstood Scriptures in the Bible in my opinion.  So on that tab I have the Thou Shall Not Judge Scripture along with many other Scriptures that do in fact tell us to judge.  What that shows me is that one Scripture that is quoted most often on the subject isn't an all inclusive command against judgment. 

By doing it this way I think I get a much more balanced view of what Scriptures says on a subject.

Let's look at one more example.  Some people seem to find it hard to believe that God hates anything.  They believe that God is all about love, end of story.  Again that is just Scripturally incorrect.  The are several Scriptures throughout the Bible where it says God hates.  Here is just one example.
 
Malachi 1:2-3(NKJV)
2    “I have loved you,” says the Lord.      “Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’     Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”     Says the Lord.     “Yet Jacob I have loved;
3    But Esau I have hated,     And laid waste his mountains and his heritage     For the jackals of the wilderness.”

Now it's not like I want to convince people that God goes around hating everything.  It's just that I think it is important for people to have a correct understanding of Scripture.  And a correct understanding of Scripture includes understanding that there are some things that are so egregious that God actually hates them.

Anyway, give OneNote a try.  I think you will find it helps you understand Scripture in greater depth.

2 comments: