Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Um Paul, how does that work exactly?


Sometimes I just have a hard time understanding Paul.  Check this out.

Titus 2:1(NKJV)
1But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: 

And then Paul goes on for a couple paragraphs telling the young and old, male and female, servant and free, how they should behave.  No drunkenness, no cheating, etc.  Then he ends it with this.


Titus 2:15(NKJV)
15Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.

Huh?  How's that work exactly?  Knowing human nature, you think that if you exhort and rebuke folks about their sins, you aren't going to piss a few of them off? 

Now don't get me wrong.  I think we should do as instructed.  I just think Paul is setting an unrealistic expectation that none will despise you. 

But don't let that stop you.  Speak the Word truthfully and sincerely and let the chips fall where they may. 

You may think it a little weird that I'm ending a post on a Christian Blog with a Gandhi quote but in this case I think it fits.

"Truth never damages a cause that is just." -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment