Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2016

How do we know the shepherd's voice?


 
John 10:1-6(NKJV)
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 
But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 
To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 
And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 
Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” 
Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.

So how is it we know the shepherd's voice?  I believe it is through prayer and the study of Scripture combined with a heartfelt desire to draw closer to God. 

One of the things that I was thinking about today was my belief that I should start my work day with Scripture.  I try to start every day with my time in the Word.  Most days it happens, occasionally it doesn't. 

But the thing I was pondering is do I do that as some sort of lucky talisman or superstition, you know like don't break a mirror or you will have bad luck?   While some might see it like that the answer is no.  I have a heartfelt desire to learn God's word more deeply and use it to guide my life.  I truly believe that every single day is better when I start in God's word.  My days just seem to work out better. 

Now the key word there I believe is heartfelt.  And as I have mentioned a couple of times recently, that seems to be the thing that Jesus focuses on.  It is a heart issue!

Now let's look at these next verses.

John 10:25-30(NKJV)
Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 
But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 
And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 
My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 
I and My Father are one.”

This goes back to my belief that modern Christians spend way too much time trying to talk people in to believing in Jesus. 

In the example above you have people saying "just show us a couple more signs to convince us" and what is Jesus response?  Simple.  He tells them to pound sand. 

Does He say "Great, let me show you another miracle or two and you folks will be saved as well"?  Nope He sure doesn't.  He tells them flat out that they aren't His sheep because they don't hear His voice and Jesus prepares to move on. 

Now Jesus will always welcome them as His sheep in the future….if they decide to hear Jesus' voice.  But Jesus doesn't change or soften the message to try and get them to hear His voice.  Big difference in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment