Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Seeking God's guidance is so cool! - a personal testimony


I am seeking God's guidance on some new direction and I thought I'd share that experience with you.  I just find it so cool how God will guide our individual lives if we will simply ask Him for that guidance…and actually listen to it when we get it.  :)

I have been keeping a personal Bible journal for almost a decade.  It will be 10 years in August if I remember correctly.  The last 4 and a half years of that in a very public way through this Common Christian blog.

My methodology is that I read one chapter of the OT and one chapter of the NT a day and then just write about what God taught me that day.  Pretty simple.  By following that pattern over my lifetime I have lost count of how many times I have read the Bible all the way through which brings me to my point of this post.

I just finished Malachi.  Time to start over at Genesis 1.  However a few days ago I asked God if it was time for a change?  One of the things I have often wanted to do is go more in depth but God kept saying just stick to the pattern.  So I did.

What is interesting is that this time when I asked the question I got a different answer.  God seems to be saying, OK, you were obedient and you learned the things I wanted you to learn by sticking to the pattern, NOW it is time to go deeper.

Interesting.  Now I am just waiting on further guidance on which path to take.  I have several book ideas that I would like to do the in depth Bible research on.  Let me list a few of them.

The character of God-I once did a search on the phrase "God is" as a place to start learning about the character of God.  There are around 40 words.  I would love to take the time to go in depth on each of the 40 words.  What I can tell you already is that there is one word that is used to describe God more times than any other.  It isn't even close.  And I can almost guarantee you it isn't the word that you think.  It isn't love.  The word is……you'll have to read the book.  :) 

The Saintly Poor-I am interested in the dynamic in play between a "just God", "the benefits of being a Christian", and the belief in the "saintly poor".  The apparent belief in Christianity that the poor are entitled to all of the benefits of being a Christian without having to be one.

Is a magic incantation really needed?-in other words what does it take to really be saved?  Does it really have to be said and done in a certain way?  Believe in our hearts and say with our mouths……..  Now as you know I am a big fan of being saved.  That is why I write.  I want all who hear and want to receive Jesus to be saved. 

But the question I have is that when I read and compare what Jesus said on the subject to what is written in the NT by others there is a bit of a discrepancy in my opinion.  With Jesus it seems to be simply a heart issue, no magic incantation needed.  The word part seems to me at least to be a human (dare I say Pharisee like) addition after the fact. 

It's nothing that challenges my faith or anything.  I would just like to study it a little deeper.  I find it interesting.

Now what will be fun is to see where God directs me.  Will it be to one of the three things that I have mentioned or something totally new that I never thought of but God did?  Time will tell. 
I wouldn't be surprised if it is something that I haven't thought of yet because God is good at that.  I can't tell you how many times that has happened on this blog.  I set out to write one thing but as I started typing God directed my thoughts in an entirely different direction.  :)

BTW, does God guide your life as thoroughly as this?  Would you like Him to?  Would you like to experience the peace that surpasses all understanding of having God directing things?  It is simply a choice on your part.

It starts with choosing to ask Jesus to lead your life.  Have you done that yet?  If not, why not right now?  Just have a conversation with Jesus.  "Dear Jesus…."

No comments:

Post a Comment