Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2016

A group beating sanctioned by God? LOL!


This is an example of why I so love studying Scripture.  Some times I read stuff, things I have read before, but the Holy Spirit shows them to me in a new light.  And sometimes those new slants on things make me laugh right out loud.  Today was such a day.  :)

Acts 18:14-21(NKJV)
And when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, “If it were a matter of wrongdoing or wicked crimes, O Jews, there would be reason why I should bear with you. 
But if it is a question of words and names and your own law, look to it yourselves; for I do not want to be a judge of such matters. 
And he drove them from the judgment seat. 
Then all the Greeks took Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him before the judgment seat. But Gallio took no notice of these things.
So Paul still remained a good while. Then he took leave of the brethren and sailed for Syria, and Priscilla and Aquila were with him. He had his hair cut off at Cenchrea, for he had taken a vow. 
And he came to Ephesus, and left them there; but he himself entered the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews. 
When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, 
but took leave of them, saying, “I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem; but I will return again to you, God willing.” And he sailed from Ephesus.

OK here is what made me really chuckle.  Let me recap what happened.  Paul has been witnessing to the Jews and Greeks.  Many Jews and Greeks believe.  However some Jews don't and not only don't they believe but they want to actively harm Paul and stop him for convincing others to believe. 

Some of the Jews who had declared themselves enemies of God by rejecting Christ bring Paul before the Roman judgement seat and are trying to get Paul put in prison or whipped or whatever.  The Roman says "hey not my deal.  Your religion.  You deal with it."

With me so far?

Here is what cracked me up.  After the Roman refuses to get involved, the believing Greeks take the ruler of the synagogue, who presumably was leading the effort to harm Paul, and they whip his butt!!!  They give him a mass beating!   LOL!!!

Not only do they kick his tail but do you see anywhere that Paul or God condemn their actions?  What happened to turn the other cheek?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment