Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2016

Does God hate?



I have heard many Christians say that God doesn't hate anything.  I would beg to differ.  Here is just one of many Scripture that say otherwise. 

Hosea 9:15(NKJV)
    “All their wickedness is in Gilgal,      For there I hated them.     Because of the evil of their deeds     I will drive them from My house;     I will love them no more.     All their princes are rebellious.

Not only does it say that God hates but it gives the reason.  He hated them because of the evil of their deeds. 

So where does that leave us as Christians?  Should we hate anything?  That is an interesting question isn't it?  We are told how God and Jesus are all about love and we should be too.  In general I think that is correct.

But I also believe that there is room for righteous hatred.  Take a look at this Scripture

Amos 5:15(NKJV)
    Hate evil, love good;     Establish justice in the gate.     It may be that the Lord God of hosts      Will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph.

Hate evil.  Seems simple enough.  But how do we square that with Jesus telling us to love our enemies?  I would suggest following Jesus example.  Jesus loves his enemies from the standpoint that He hopes they will repent and come to know Him and He loves them enough to forgive them.  But Jesus doesn't "love His enemies" to the extent that He excuses evil behavior without the repentance.  Make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment