Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2018

A different take.


We all know that we are heirs with Christ.  But here is a passage from Revelation that puts it a little differently.  I love how the Holy Spirit brings different things to your attention.  I've read Revelation more times than I can remember and I have even done a Revelation Bible study or two and I don't ever remember noticing this wording before.

Revelation 1:5-6(NKJV)
and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, 
and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

The first part, "to Him who loved us and washed us from our sins with His own blood,…" is obviously a reference to Jesus.  "and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father".  That is what I had never noticed before.  It tells us that Jesus made us kings and priest to God.  I don't really get the king part.  The priest part makes sense because we all have a direct line to God and can minister to Him and for Him. 

I guess the overall thing I get from it was that Jesus elevated us to kings and priests.  He didn't lower us to poor and dejected.  Which actually just triggered another thought. 

The New Testament says "the poor shall inherit the earth".  It says similar things in several places.  And most people, including myself have always thought that was meant as a good thing.

Well if that is the case, then why does Jesus elevate us to kings and priests.  Doesn't He want us to inherit the earth? 

It now occurs to me that maybe it wasn't meant to be a positive thing.  I have always thought that the verses were referring to spiritually poor, not monetarily poor.  Revelation tells us that the old earth will be swept away and a new heaven and earth will take its place.  If that is the case, then maybe it is saying that the "spiritually poor" will inherit the earth INSTEAD of enjoying heaven. 

I'm going to have to study this new idea a bit more and see where it takes me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment