Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do Not Worry Beforehand

I read these verses in Mark back in January and then never got to write about them so when I read pretty much the same story in Luke today I figured it was time. 

Mark 13:9-11(NKJV)
9“But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will £be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them. 
10And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. 
11But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, £or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 

Luke 12:11-12(NKJV)
11“Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 
12For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”

I got to experience this whole depending on the Holy Spirit for the words many years ago and it was pretty cool.  This would have been back in the 80's.  Our church had been invited to do the Sunday evening service at the Gospel Mission.  I was asked to give the message.  By this time I had taught both Senior High and Adult Sunday School as well as gave a sermon about giving once so I wasn't terrified of speaking in public , so I said sure.

I approached this kind of like I approached choosing what book we were going to study in Sunday School each semester.  I used to go to the Christian Bookstore and wander around until a book jumped off the shelf at me.  If nothing did I'd leave and come back another day until God led me to what book I was supposed to use next. 

I figured it would work pretty much the same way for speaking at the mission.  I'd sit down and let God lead me in writing down what I was going to say.  Well the first time I sat down to do it I got nothing.  No big deal.  The second time I got more nothing.  This went on over and over to the point that I was sitting there with my name being called to speak and I had nothing.  Being familiar with these verses I was left with no choice but to trust God.  And you know what?  He didn't let me down.  All those words that flowed out sure didn't come from me.

Why am I writing about this?  Because it reminds me again that I don't need to be Billy Bible to be an effective witness for Christ.  Witnessing can be as simple as relaxing and letting God speak through us if we'll let him.

No comments:

Post a Comment