Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Don't Major in the Minor


I've always loved this story as an example of "don't major in the minor". 

Luke 10:38-42(NKJV)
38Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 
39And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at £Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 
40But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”
41And £Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 
42But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

We live in a fast paced society with lot's of things vying for our attention.  We have our spiritual lives, our marriages, our families, our careers, and our outside interests all needing attention.  It's easy to get overwhelmed.  How do we chose?

As we look at the story above what do we learn?  That's right.  Don't major in the minors.  In this case the major was the fact that Jesus was there in person teaching.  Whether all the people got tea and cookies just wasn't really all that important was it?

This principal works in all areas of our lives.  Make a written list each day of the things that need your attention.  Now go down the list and put either a M or a m next to each item.  M is for major and m is for Minor.  Now look back over your list and evaluate each item.  Is it really a major?  Is it really a minor?  Make adjustments.  By the time you are done you should have no more than 3 or 4 major items, everything else is minor for that day. 

This process will help you stay focused on the Major.  If you just knock off your 3 or 4 majors everyday you've had a successful day.   Now for all of you overachievers out there you could take it a step further.  You can have categories: spiritual, marriage, health, kids, whatever.  You could have to do's for each category.  Make adjustments to the list so that you only have one major for each category that day.  As long as you do the one major from each category each day you've had a successful day.

Jut another example of practical Christianity at work!

3 comments:

  1. So you're the one to thank for my list making and scheduling.... I love my lists and I find that I'm much more relaxed after making a list. After I make my list each day, next to each thing, I'll put 1, 2, or 3 stars. I focus on the 3 stars first, since they are major things and then if I can get to any of the 2 star, great, if not, its okay since I got the major things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that would be me. Excellent system. Do you by chance use Outlook for your email? If so you can enter your tasks there and color code them. What's nice is that anything that doesn't get done automatically gets carried over to the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, we use outlook and I color code my tasks/emails and then use the calendar in outlook for my major tasks.

    ReplyDelete