Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2012

No Being Switzerland here


As I study and write I am struck by the themes that keep recurring.  A couple of those themes being
-the Bible is a book of balance
-Peaceful and loving God and Jesus who want to see the whole world saved vs.   strong and mighty God and Jesus who can kick a little tail. 

Take a look at these verses and then I'll share my thoughts.

Luke 18:1-8(NKJV)
1Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, 
2saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. 
3Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ 
4And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 
5yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’”
6Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. 
7And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 
8I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

To begin with the first part cracks me up because it shows how far back some stereotypes can go.  I mean what are we talking about here? A nagging woman.  Wow.  So that is where the myth of the nagging woman came from?

But this is also where I again see the tension of balance.  My major inclination is to bring something up to God once and move on.  God's not some doddering old fool with a failing memory.  I mean come on He runs the universe.  I'm sure I don't have to keep reminding Him. 

On the other hand here is another example in the Bible where God seems to be saying "come on, keep knocking, keep asking, bug me a little."  Maybe in these instances He just wants us to show Him we really want it.  I don't know.  It's just sometimes hard to find that balance.

Now as to the God the strong and mighty.  Check this out.   What I want to illustrate here is a difference in the word picture.  There is a difference of attitude.  Look at this definition.
A·venge
verb (used with object), a·venged, a·veng·ing.
  1. to take vengeance  or exact satisfaction for: to avenge a grave insult.
  1. to take vengeance  on behalf of: He avenged his brother.

Synonyms
vindicate. Avenge, revenge  both imply to inflict pain or harm in return for pain or harm inflicted on oneself or those persons or causes to which one feels loyalty. The two words were formerly interchangeable, but have been differentiated until they now convey widely diverse ideas. Avenge  is now restricted to inflicting punishment as an act of retributive justice or as a vindication of propriety: to avenge a murder by bringing the criminal to trial. Revenge  implies inflicting pain or harm to retaliate for real or fancied wrongs; a reflexive pronoun is often used with this verb: Iago wished to revenge himself upon Othello.


When you are presented with the Gospel you have to make a choice.  There is no being Switzerland here and staying neutral.  Jesus himself told us that we are either for Him or against Him.  If you don't chose Him you are therefore rejecting Him.  You think that might offend and insult God?

So here is the difference.  It would be one thing to let them just quietly slink off to eternal damnation, but based on what I read above that doesn't seem likely to happen.  Instead by rejecting Jesus they have offended and insulted God.  He is going to avenge that act by causing them pain and torment on the way to eternal damnation.  Ouch!

So remember folks, there's no not making a decision and waiting til later.  To not choose is to choose.   

No comments:

Post a Comment