Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Details - A Double Edged Sword

In the last couple of days I've gotten to taste both sides of the sword so to speak.

Today I was reading Ezekiel 40.  It is one of those sections of the Bible that I just have a hard time reading because I don't see the point.  Here is a little bit of it.

Ezekiel 40:6-13(NKJV)
6Then he went to the gateway which faced east; and he went up its stairs and measured the threshold of the gateway, which was one rod wide, and the other threshold was one rod wide. 
7Each gate chamber was one rod long and one rod wide; between the gate chambers was a space of five cubits; and the threshold of the gateway by the vestibule of the inside gate was one rod. 
8He also measured the vestibule of the inside gate, one rod. 
9Then he measured the vestibule of the gateway, eight cubits; and the gateposts, two cubits. The vestibule of the gate was on the inside. 
10In the eastern gateway were three gate chambers on one side and three on the other; the three were all the same size; also the gateposts were of the same size on this side and that side.
11He measured the width of the entrance to the gateway, ten cubits; and the length of the gate, thirteen cubits. 
12There was a space in front of the gate chambers, one cubit on this side and one cubit on that side; the gate chambers were six cubits on this side and six cubits on that side. 
13Then he measured the gateway from the roof of one gate chamber to the roof of the other; the width was twenty-five cubits, as door faces door. 

See what I mean? It's the measurements of the temple.  When I read this my eyes just glaze over.  I don't mean to be disrespectful but I just don't have a clue what I am supposed to learn from it.  The measurements are so detailed that I lose track and can't really picture it.  If you just tell me it’s the temple, I'm good with that, I get the general idea.  

Now let's look at the other side of the sword.  A lot of detail that I find very helpful.  For my NT reading I am in the book of Luke.  I love the extra detail that Luke goes into.  What I want to focus on today is his description of how Simon Peter, James and John were called. 

Luke 5:3-11(NKJV)
3Then He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the multitudes from the boat.
4When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”
5But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 
6And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 
7So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 
8When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”
9For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; 
10and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” 
11So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.

Here the details help me see this progression.  Simon Peter as well as James and John meet Jesus and in a short time develop a personal relationship with Him.  They listen to Jesus' counsel and see how they are richly blessed.  Based on that very real and personal relationship with Jesus they are willing to make a full commitment. 

Isn't that the way it is for us?  We've met Jesus and we've seen the tremendous positive impact He has made in our lives so we are willing to commit.  So the question for me becomes, how can we communicate that very real and personal experience to others? 

Folks if you haven't yet experienced that personal relationship with Jesus then why not ask Him into your heart today?  Give yourself a chance to experience the peace that passes all understanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment