Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How far should we pursue the desires of our heart?


Here's the short answer.  Until God tells us to stop!  God admires persistence/perseverance.  Let me give you some scripture to back up that belief. 

Luke 11:8-10(NKJV)
8I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 
10For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 

Romans 5:3-5(NKJV)
3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance
4and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 
5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
(This is one of my favorite all time scriptures!)

Revelation 3:12(NKJV)
12He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

While this one doesn't specifically say persistence/perseverance I think it takes those attributes to overcome many things so I've included it here.

God tells us that He will give us the desires of our hearts as long as those desires align with His will.  The cool thing is that in Luke He gives us a pattern to follow.

We have to be persistent in seeking the desires of our heart.  We need to Ask God for guidance and help.  We need to Seek ways to reach and achieve those desires.  As those ways are revealed to us we have to Knock on the next door of opportunity on the path to that desire.  When that door opens up we have to walk through to the next one.   If it doesn't open up we need to go back to God and make sure the pursuit of the desire is still within God's will. 

Now the key here is that we always need to subjugate our desire to God's will.   If at some point God let's us know that the desire is no longer in line with His will, then we have to be OK with that because we want to follow God’s will even more than we want the desires of our heart.  Does that make sense?  And rest assured that if it is His will that we no longer pursue that desire, He has something even greater in store for us if we will just trust Him and give His plan time to develop. 

So if God has put a desire on your heart then pursue it until you achieve it or God tells you to stop, and not one second longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment