Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Old 80-20 Rule



Even in scripture we find it.  Not sure what I am talking about? Let me explain.

It seems that in most organizations, whether it is at work, church, the PTA, Little League, whatever; roughly 20% of the people step up and make things happen while the other 80% watch things happen.  The ones that step up and volunteer to teach Sunday School are the same ones that step up and run the PTA or Little League.

Why don't the others get involved?  It could be lack of confidence, lack of faith, or even just plain laziness.  I don't really know.  It just is.

What I found interesting is that I was reading Numbers 13 and 14.  God instructs Moses to send 12 men, leaders of their tribes to spy on Canaan.  They go out and 40 days later they come back.  10 of the twelve tell  Moses, Aaron and the people how dangerous and impossible it is going to be to take possession of the land that God gave them.   2 of them see the vision and have total faith that God can deliver and so they are the only two of the twelve that God lets take possession and enjoy the benefits of God's vision for their lives.

Think about that.  Two out of 12 is 17%.  That's close enough for me to see the 80-20 rule in action here. 

So my suggestion is that if you want to be really useful and pleasing to God, be a 20%er!

No comments:

Post a Comment