Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Whatever has a defect, you shall not offer!


Leviticus 22:20(NKJV)
20Whatever has a defect, you shall not offer, for it shall not be acceptable on your behalf. 

I've been reading Leviticus lately and I've got to admit, there is a lot of stuff in there that seems to portray God as being very picky.  There are a lot of do's and don'ts that I just don't understand.  They conflict with my view of God the Father.

The verse above however, does not fall into that category.  I think it is just as applicable today as it ever was.  Whatever has a defect, you shall not offer.  That makes perfect sense to me. 

I don't know about you but God has done some incredible things in my life and I am very grateful.  Therefor, the things that I give to God to show my thanks should be the very best that I have to offer.  My first fruits so to speak.

In the OT, they would bring a male animal of some sort as a thanks offering, or a wave offering, or a sin offering, or whatever.  God was very specific.  Don't bring me any animal with a blemish on it.  It won't be accepted.  But we are no longer in OT times.  What is it that we bring to God to show our thanks?

Our very lives.  We are new beings in Christ.  It is therefore incumbent upon us to offer the very best of our lives to God.  The very best of our time, the very best of our efforts, and the very best of our fortunes.  In other words, the very best of all that we have.  Anything less is defective and unacceptable to God. 

Are you giving God the very best that you have to offer?  If not, there's no better time to start than the present.  What can you offer God today?

1 comment:

  1. I like that you went beyond just saying that the equivalent in our day is giving of tithes. It is more than just giving some money on Sundays. We are to give the best of our lives, in every aspect. :)

    ReplyDelete