Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

"You shall not fear other gods"


2 Kings 17:35(NKJV)
35with whom the Lord had made a covenant and charged them, saying: “You shall not fear other gods, nor bow down to them nor serve them nor sacrifice to them; 

Seems pretty simple.  Basically don't have anything to do with other gods.  Why did God's people have so much trouble following that simple rule?  You can go all the way back to Solomon and see that while most of the Kings of Judah were described as men of God they allowed the high places and the worshipping of Baal and things like that. 

Sometimes we can follow other gods without even realizing it.  God specifically mentions things like fortune telling, witchcraft, and astrology.  I used to have a Ouija board that I played around with when I was a kid.  I also used to read my horoscope on occasion just for kicks.  Same with fortune cookies.  That is until it dawned on me one day that those are some of the specific things that God was talking about not doing. 

 We already have the best in God, no need to look anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment