Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Differences in Approach


Let's do a little contrast and compare between King David and Paul.

First King David. 

Psalms 13:1-2(NKJV)
1    How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?      How long will You hide Your face from me?
2    How long shall I take counsel in my soul,     Having sorrow in my heart daily?     How long will my enemy be exalted over me?

Psalms 13:5-6(NKJV)
5    But I have trusted in Your mercy;      My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6    I will sing to the Lord,      Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

Here King David starts off with the old woe is me, God has forgotten all about me pity party.  Then along about the 5 and 6th verses he seems to remind himself that God always comes through for him and he almost reluctantly acknowledges that.

That just seems like a lack of faith to me.  Either you believe that God will come through for you or you don't.  And you believe it in the toughest of times just as strongly as you believe it when things are going good.  I don't see that here.

Now let's compare that to Paul.

2 Corinthians 7:4(NKJV)
4Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation.

Joyful in our tribulations?  Is he crazy?  Or is he following Scripture.  As many of you know, this is one of my favorite Scriptures. 

Romans 5:2-5(NKJV)
2through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 
3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance
4and perseverance, character; and character, hope
5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Seems to me that Paul is showing much more faith because he doesn't have a pity party.  He is joyful in his tribulation.  He's saying bring it on, I've got God on my side and so no matter what you do to me I know that my God will prevail.

Now that is faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment