Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Paul's Inferiority Complex



One of the things I have never understood about Paul is his inferiority complex. 

2 Corinthians 12:11-13(NKJV)
11I have become a fool £in boasting; you have compelled me. For I ought to have been commended by you; for in nothing was I behind the most eminent apostles, though I am nothing. 
12Truly the signs of an apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds. 
13For what is it in which you were inferior to other churches, except that I myself was not burdensome to you? Forgive me this wrong!

Paul quite often seems to be comparing himself to the original Apostles.  As if he somehow sees himself as less than them.  Where do you think that comes from?  After all, Jesus personally visited Paul and converted him.  Paul was personally chosen by Jesus.  There is no doubt in Paul's mind about that. 

Here is my guess.  Guilt.  Even though we know intellectually that we are saved and forgiven, a lot of people have a real hard time of letting go of the guilt of the past.  My guess is that maybe there was some of that for Paul.  After all, he had a lot to feel guilty about.

So how do we get over that?  Once you are aware of it, talk to Jesus about it.  He'll help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment