Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Wonder About This



2 Corinthians 5:18-19(NKJV)
18Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation
19that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Scripture is clear that our ministry is to try and reconcile the lost to God.  How far away from the Word should we stray to accomplish that mission?

It just seems to me that there is a tendency to water down God's message to try and lure people into the church.  The strategy seems to be once we get them there we can slowly teach them the real truth.  At least that is the way it seems to me.

I look at some of the things the new Pope has said which seem to me to clearly go against Scripture.  I've seen other preachers do it as well.  They don't want to offend or drive people away so they give a sugar coated version of God.  They teach all about the love of God and totally ignore anything else that may be uncomfortable.  The over riding goal seems to be to get the people "plugged in" and then over time we can 'help them mature' in their faith.

I have to admit that even I am guilty of it.  When I offer the opportunity for people to accept Jesus in my writings I encourage them to have a conversation with Jesus, let Him know what they need.  I leave it up to them to find the right words. 

The problem is that I know this isn't Scripturally correct.  Scripture tells us that we need to believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that Jesus is the Son of God, that He was crucified here on earth but the He was raised form the dead on the 3rd day and now sits at the right hand of God.

So why do I do it the other way?  Because it seems easier than explaining all the details to someone who is new for fear of overwhelming them.  But is it OK to do it that way?  Will they actually be saved?  Is Jesus or God going to be a stickler about the exact verbage or are they more interested in the fact that someone is inviting them in, no matter the exact words that they use? 

I like to believe that my God is flexible, understanding, and easy going  so that the intention is more important than the words.  But is it? 

That is what I wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment