Search This Blog

Friday, March 7, 2014

God is….


One of the things I have been pondering lately is the character of God.  What are the character attributes of God?  How would you look that up?  How would you study it? 

Well today as I was reading Psalm 7 and I ran across this verse.

Psalms 7:11(NKJV)
11    God is a just judge,      And God is angry with the wicked every day.

I just love how God uses His word to guide and enlighten.  A good place to start is right there.  God is….

I use a computerized Bible so I am able to search on individual words or phrases.  Why not start this quest by searching the Bible for the phrase "God is".  Turns out that phrase appears 188 times in the New King James version of the Bible.

Now as I read through the verses I found that not all had deep meaning so we are just going to take a look at the ones that stand out to me. 

This ended up being a bigger project than I expected.  I have a bunch of verses here but don't feel like you need to read them all.  I will finish this over the next day or two and report back. 

So far I have 30 different words.  Some used more than once.  I think you'll be surprised at the one used the most. 
------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with Psalms 7:11 above.  It says God is a "just judge".  Not just a judge mind you but a just judge.

God also gets angry. 

Genesis 31:50(NKJV)
50If you afflict my daughters, or if you take other wives besides my daughters, although no man is with us—see, God is witness between you and me!”

Exodus 20:12(NKJV)
12    “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.


Numbers 23:19(NKJV)
19    “God is not a man, that He should lie,      Nor a son of man, that He should repent.     Has He said, and will He not do?     Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?


Deuteronomy 4:24(NKJV)
24For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.


Deuteronomy 4:31(NKJV)
31(for the Lord your God is a merciful God), He will not forsake you nor destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which He swore to them.


Deuteronomy 7:21(NKJV)
21You shall not be terrified of them; for the Lord your God, the great and awesome God, is among you. 


Deuteronomy 9:3(NKJV)
3Therefore understand today that the Lord your God is He who goes over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and bring them down before you; so you shall drive them out and destroy them quickly, as the Lord has said to you.


Deuteronomy 10:17(NKJV)
17For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe. 


Deuteronomy 13:3(NKJV)
3you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 

Deuteronomy 33:27(NKJV)
27    The eternal God is your refuge,     And underneath are the everlasting arms;     He will thrust out the enemy from before you,     And will say, ‘Destroy!’

Joshua 23:3(NKJV)
3You have seen all that the Lord your God has done to all these nations because of you, for the Lord your God is He who has fought for you. 


Joshua 24:17(NKJV)
17for the Lord our God is He who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, who did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way that we went and among all the people through whom we passed. 
(rescuer)

2 Samuel 22:33(NKJV)
33    £God is my strength and power,     And He makes £my way perfect.


2 Chronicles 30:9(NKJV)
9For if you return to the Lord, your brethren and your children will be treated with compassion by those who lead them captive, so that they may come back to this land; for the Lord your God is gracious and merciful, and will not turn His face from you if you return to Him.”

Job 9:4(NKJV)
4    God is wise in heart and mighty in strength.     Who has hardened himself against Him and prospered?


Job 31:23(NKJV)
23    For destruction from God is a terror to me,     And because of His magnificence I cannot endure.


Job 36:22(NKJV)
22    “Behold, God is exalted by His power;      Who teaches like Him?


Psalms 14:5(NKJV)
5    There they are in great fear,     For God is with the generation of the righteous.


Psalms 45:6(NKJV)
6    Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;      A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.


Psalms 54:4(NKJV)
4    Behold, God is my helper;      The Lord is with those who uphold my life.


Psalms 59:9(NKJV)
9    I will wait for You, O You £his Strength;      For God is my defense.


Psalms 62:7(NKJV)
7    In God is my salvation and my glory;     The rock of my strength,     And my refuge, is in God.


Psalms 73:1(NKJV)
1    Truly God is good to Israel,      To such as are pure in heart.


Psalms 99:9(NKJV)
9    Exalt the Lord our God,     And worship at His holy hill;      For the Lord our God is holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment