Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

First born of the dead…What does that mean?


I've always wondered what exactly that means as it is used to describe Jesus.  What reminded me of it was this section of Matthew that I read today.

Matthew 27:51-53(NKJV)
51Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, 
52and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 
53and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

The reason it has never made sense to me is that I have always interpreted it to mean Jesus was the first person raised from the dead and we know that isn't true.  There were people raised from the dead in the Old Testament.  Jesus raised Lazarus.  And the passage above tells us that many more were raised. 

So what is the deal?  I guess it is time to find out.  Let me do a quick search of the internet and see what I find.  BRB.

Well isn't that interesting.  If I had only known Greek it would have been clear to me to begin with.  I've been teaching myself Spanish.  Maybe I should work on Greek next.

Here is what I found.

"The title “firstborn of the dead” for Jesus is of great theological importance, especially with Easter in the background. The Greek word for “firstborn” that John uses is prōtotokos, a word that literally refers to birth order—the first child born. This is a concept of great significance in the Old Testament, where the firstborn son inherited his father’s place as head of the family, receiving the father’s blessing and a double portion of the inheritance (Deuteronomy 21:17). After the Passover in Egypt, God told his people that every firstborn child was set aside as his own (Exodus 13:2), and the nation of Israel as a whole was referred to as God’s “firstborn son” (Exodus 4:22).

Because of the biblical significance attached to the concept, the word “firstborn” acquired a metaphorical sense and came to also refer to the special status of the firstborn as the preeminent son and heir. In the New Testament, Jesus is shown to be the “new Israel,” the culmination and fulfillment of God’s promise to bless all the nations through the offspring of Abraham (Galatians 3:7). Jesus fulfills the intended role of Israel as God’s faithful firstborn son in his perfect life and sacrificial death, and he is vindicated by God in his glorious resurrection."

I've included a link to the article incase you'd like to read more.  Now I have a better understanding.  It has nothing to do with the order of being raised from the dead.  It has to do with this;  Jesus was first person to exist of all of those throughout history who have been or will be raised from the dead.  So in that sense He is the first born and therefore first heir to God.  

Gotta love the internet.  We have the sum total of man's knowledge at our fingertips.  Thank you for that God!

No comments:

Post a Comment