Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Interesting Request of "Peaceful and Loving" Jesus


Now before I get to my point please let me make real clear that I do indeed believe that Jesus is peaceful and loving.  But as I have mentioned many times before, the Bible is a book of balance and I think that sometimes peoples views get a bit unbalanced.

Such is the case with "peaceful" Jesus.  It just seems to me that many see Jesus only as peaceful and that everybody gets the loving benefits of Jesus whether they commit to Him or not.  I just don't believe that is scripturally true.

Take a look at the verse and then I'll make my point.

Mark 5:1-7(NKJV)
1Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the £Gadarenes. 
2And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 
3who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind £him, not even with chains, 
4because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him. 
5And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.
6When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. 
7And he cried out with a loud voice and said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”

Think about this for a minute.  The guy has an unclean spirit.  I believe in the Bible that is somewhat allegorical  with them being demon possessed.    Notice that he doesn't ask if Jesus is the Son of God, he already knows it.  Now what is his request?

"Jesus...do not torment me." 

Think about that.  Not just don't kill me but don't torment me.  Torment to me indicates a level of punishment way over and above normal punishment.  In fact it almost reaches the level of torture in my mind.

And the possessed man asked Jesus not to torment him! Wow, that doesn't sound very "peaceful and loving" does it? 

Once again I believe that we see a Biblical difference in the way God deals with  those who are of His family verses those who have declared themselves enemies of God. 

Now what about a loving Jesus?  I believe that Jesus offers all the love in the world to those who accept Him as their Lord and Savior.  I also believe that Jesus offers all the love in the world to those who have rejected Him if they choose to change their minds and accept Jesus.   He won't hold their previous rejection against them.  That shows love.

However, if someone declares themselves an enemy of God by rejecting Jesus, God will respect their choice, but the Bible tells us that the results of that choice will be torment.  

So don't be fooled by those who tell you that it really doesn't matter because Jesus is very loving.  Some may be surprised with the form that love takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment