Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What is the most pleasing thing we can do for God?


Isn't that a great question?  There are many things that come to mind.  Obedience to God.  Spreading the Gospel.  Helping the less fortunate.  But let's take a look at this verse.

Psalms 147:11(NKJV)
11    The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him,     In those who hope in His mercy.

OK as I write this I guess my title is a bit of hyperbole because I can't say that this is the most pleasing but I'll bet it ranks right up there.  While this verse doesn't specifically say it and if you say I'm jumping to conclusions here I wouldn't be offended but here is what I think it alludes to.

One of the things that brings God pleasure is when we make a consistent, heartfelt, and genuine effort at building our relationship with God.  When we consistently make an effort to know Him.  When we make a consistent effort to find out what God wants us to do for Him and then we attempt  to go out and do it.  That's what I think brings God immense pleasure.
 
Now think about that for a minute.  Think about the word used here.  Pleasure.  We can bring God pleasure?  God.  The guy who created everything including every pleasure known; and can have those pleasures anytime He wants.

Why do you think God gets so much pleasure from our efforts to build our relationship with Him?   I have a guess.  I think it is because it is a pleasure that He can't grant himself.  Think about it.  God has immense respect for our free will.  He won't violate it.
 
I think that is why our puny efforts are so meaningful to Him.  Because we give them freely and lovingly.  So while God is always superior to us in our relationship, isn't it nice to know that we do bring a little something to the table?  Isn't it nice to know that we can bring a smile to God's face after all that he does for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment