Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Quite the opposite take on the vine isn't it?


One of the things that I look for in my Bible study is the symmetry between the Old Testament and the New.  For me at least, it is important to back up what I believe are Biblical principals with references from the OT and NT when ever possible.  Seems to add credence to the claim in my opinion.

That is why I found this next section a bit unusual.  Not doctrinally challenging or anything, just unusual.

Unusual from the standpoint that I can't remember often seeing conflicting allegories.  In the NT Jesus is described as the vine; and that is a good thing. 

John 15:1-6(NKJV)
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 
Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 
You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 
If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 

As you can see Jesus is the vine.  It goes on to make the distinction between good branches and bad branches, with the bad branches being burned.

Now read the verses from Ezekiel.

Ezekiel 15:1-7(NKJV)
Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 
“Son of man, how is the wood of the vine better than any other wood, the vine branch which is among the trees of the forest? 
Is wood taken from it to make any object? Or can men make a peg from it to hang any vessel on? 
Instead, it is thrown into the fire for fuel; the fire devours both ends of it, and its middle is burned. Is it useful for any work? 
Indeed, when it was whole, no object could be made from it. How much less will it be useful for any work when the fire has devoured it, and it is burned?
“Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Like the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so I will give up the inhabitants of Jerusalem; 
and I will set My face against them. They will go out from one fire, but another fire shall devour them. Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when I set My face against them. 

LOL, wow, quite the opposite take on the vine isn't it?  I realize that different points are being made here.  It is just that I don't often see the conflicting uses of an allegory like that.  Using the image of the vine to both describe Jesus (Good) and the Israelites who are about to be banished to Babylon (Bad).   

Now I'm not reading anything into this.  It's probably just a quirk of style and nothing more.  It just made me chuckle!

No comments:

Post a Comment