Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

It's OK to not do everything you are told?


There are some pastors and some churches out there who take the view that if you don't follow all of your pastors orders you are guilty of not submitting to authority.  I happen to disagree with that view. 

I think pastors are a good source for guidance but if I have a pastor telling me to do one thing and the Holy Spirit telling me to do something else, who do you think I am going to listen to?  I'm going to listen to the Holy Spirit every single time! 

Do I have a Scriptural basis to back up my belief?  Well as a matter of fact!  :)

I found this recently.

1 Corinthians 16:12(NKJV)
Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to come to you with the brethren, but he was quite unwilling to come at this time; however, he will come when he has a convenient time.

Here we have Paul "strongly urging" Apollos to do something according to Paul's schedule.  Now when your mother "strongly urged" you to do something, wasn't that a polite way of saying she ordered you to do it? 

But what did Apollos do?  He refused to do it Paul's way and stuck to his own schedule.  And did Paul get mad?  Not at all.  He allowed Apollos the freedom to follow his own plans.  Now this part is conjecture but I would think that at least part of the reason for that was that Paul was confident that Apollos was being guided by the Holy Spirit.  Paul didn't feel the need to micromanage and override the Holy Spirit. 

Some pastors today might want to consider that approach.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment