Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2016

I've always had trouble with this…planning that is.


This has always been tough for me. 

2 Corinthians 1:17-18(NKJV)
Therefore, when I was planning this, did I do it lightly? Or the things I plan, do I plan according to the flesh, that with me there should be Yes, Yes, and No, No? 
But as God is faithful, our word to you was not Yes and No. 

I know that there are plenty of Scripture that tells us to plan.  And to write our plans down.  But there are also Scriptures telling us to let God direct our lives and to guard against trying to take over God's role in our lives by depending on ourselves more than God.

I have always resisted writing long term goals for that reason.

As a I change seasons in life I am going to make a conscious effort to change my thinking and thus my behavior on this issue.

I am going to adapt the way I use my daily task list to my long term planning and goals.  Here is what I mean by that. 

I usually make a list of tasks that need to be accomplished each morning.  Then I operate off of that list for the day.  I find that having a written list makes me way more productive.  But many times as I work my way down that list God steps in and redirects my efforts as He sees fit.  I am totally OK with that and in fact I expect it. 

Well why can't I adapt that to my longer term goals.  Instead of viewing that as me trying to take over for God here is how I am going to view it and what I am going to do.

The new way I am going to view it is that I need to write down my long term goals with God's counsel.  Scripture tells us that God wants to give us the desires of our heart so it is OK to want things and to have goals.  So with that view I am not taking over for God.  I am planning for the desires of my heart but making it clear to God in my prayer time that I only want these things as long as He is in agreement.

Now I start working the plan just like I do on my daily task lists.  I will be much more productive on a long term basis and yet I will always be sensitive to God saying "hey dude, hang a left.  You need to go do this.".  When God steps in it will be my intention to always yield to His direction.  Make sense?

I'll let you know how it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment