Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Laughter and a smile should lead to hope…and hope does not disappoint!


Every hear that laughter is the best medicine?  I think there is a lot of truth to that…within context. 

For example if I get shot I think I would rather have them stop the bleeding and remove the bullet…not stand around laughing….but you get my point.  :)

I thought maybe we could change it to laughter is the best medicine for the Spirit but then I thought of something else that is even more important and it is something I have been pondering lately.  Take a look at these two Scriptures and I will pick it up on the other side. 

Proverbs 15:13(NKJV)
    A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance,      But by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.

Proverbs 17:22(NKJV)
    A merry heart does good, like medicine,      But a broken spirit dries the bones.

First the merry heart part.  If you want to see physical proof of this it is easy.  For those of you who work out, when you catch yourself maybe getting a bit tired put a big, genuine smile on your face.  You will feel your body change state (Tony Robbins concept) and you will feel a charge of energy.  A changing of the spirit if you will.  It works for me every time.

The one thing however that I think is more important to the spirit than laughter is hope!

What brings this to mind is that we are going through a change of seasons in our lives and I was puzzling the other day about why I feel so calm about the whole thing.  (And once again just to make sure all understand I am sharing this not to show how great I am but to show what great things God can do in our lives if we will only let Him!)

The first part of that answer is that I have Jesus to lead me so I have the "peace that surpasses all understanding".  And then to go along with all of that I have hope, and I think that is the key difference between me and someone in the same situation who has a negative outlook on things. 

Now why do I have hope?  Because I believe God always keeps His promises.  Plain and simple.  Here is one of my favorite foundational verses and you have all see it before.

Romans 5:1-5(NKJV)
Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 
through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 
and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 
Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Hope does not disappoint!!!!!

Now let me tie this all together.  The part I have highlighted in yellow is one of the most concise success formulas that I know of.  But pay attention to the first requirement because I believe it  is the foundation that the rest of the formula is built on. 
 
We are told to "glory in our tribulations".  What might that look like?  Maybe smiling and laughing in the face of adversity?  Hmm???

No comments:

Post a Comment