Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

"judge for yourselves what I say"


I'm sure glad I noticed this verse.  This is an invitation from Paul.  As you know I have some issues with Paul.  I used to feel bad about that but now that I see this invitation from Paul I will take him up on it and no longer be bothered by it.

1 Corinthians 10:14-15(NKJV)
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 
I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 

Discernment is what I believe Paul is talking about here.  We are to take what he says and compare it to Scripture to see if the two line up.  As Paul puts it we are to "judge" his words. 

But what about "thou shall not judge"?  I can hear some of you now.  As I have said in the past we have to take the Bible in its entirety.  To borrow from Ecclesiastes, there is a time to judge and a time not to judge.

So how do we discern?  My suggestion is that we get in God's Word as often as possible so that His Word is fresh on our hearts.  Then the second part is to let the Holy Spirit guide you.

How do we get the Holy Spirit?  That is easy.  Just invite Jesus in to your life to lead you.  Once you accept the leadership of Jesus you get the Holy Spirit as a bonus to guide you.

Just have a conversation with Jesus.  Invite Him to lead you.  "Dear Jesus…."


No comments:

Post a Comment