Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

God is….Near


Just a reminder about this word study.  I couple of years ago I was contemplating the Character of God.  I was at some point in the Bible where there were multiple passages that started with God is near, God is peace, etc. 

God whispered in my ear and said "Hey, I bet this would be a good place to start in discerning my character.  I found that many of the words were only used a handful of times.  There was one word however that was used more than 30 times to describe God.  The next closest word as far as usage was only used 11 or 12 times.  I took that to mean that the word used way more than any of the others must indicate the biggest or most significant character of God.  I will reveal what that word is at the end of the God is series that I am doing.

So what I started doing is taking each phrase like God is near and reading every verse in the Bible that has the word near in it.  Many of the verses using near weren't applicable.  I have copied below a handful of verses that I thought were applicable.

One of the best things about building a relationship with God is that He will draw nearer to you as you draw nearer to Him.  He will be right there with you.  I have had experiences where I have felt like God had His hand on my shoulder and was whispering in my ear.  That is how near He can be! 

Let's take a look at some of the verses.  Some I will comment on and some I won't.

Exodus 19:14-15(NKJV)
So Moses went down from the mountain to the people and sanctified the people, and they washed their clothes. 
And he said to the people, “Be ready for the third day; do not come near your wives.”

This is an example of one that I thought wasn't applicable.  It had the word near but it really had nothing to do with God being near.

Exodus 24:2(NKJV)
And Moses alone shall come near the Lord, but they shall not come near; nor shall the people go up with him.”

In the Old Testament there was a bit of a separation from God.  Only Moses was allowed to go meet with God in person.  Now since Christ has paid the price for us all we can all come near to God.

Deuteronomy 4:7(NKJV)
For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the Lord our God is to us, for whatever reason we may call upon Him? 

Psalms 75:1(NKJV)
    We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks!      For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near.

Psalms 85:9(NKJV)
    Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him,     That glory may dwell in our land.

Psalms 119:151(NKJV)
    You are near, O Lord,     And all Your commandments are truth.

Psalms 145:18(NKJV)
    The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,     To all who call upon Him in truth.

Notice this one.  God isn't near to everybody.  Only those who call on Him.  That is why it is so important to accept Christ and then spend time daily building that relationship with God. 

Isaiah 46:13(NKJV)
    I bring My righteousness near, it shall not be far off;     My salvation shall not linger.     And I will place salvation in Zion,      For Israel My glory.

Isaiah 50:8(NKJV)
    He is near who justifies Me;     Who will contend with Me?     Let us stand together.     Who is My adversary?     Let him come near Me.

Jeremiah 23:23(NKJV)
    Am I a God near at hand,” says the Lord,      “And not a God afar off?

Lamentations 3:57(NKJV)
    You drew near on the day I called on You,     And said, “Do not fear!”

Malachi 3:5(NKJV)
    And I will come near you for judgment;     I will be a swift witness     Against sorcerers,     Against adulterers,     Against perjurers,     Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans,     And against those who turn away an alien—     Because they do not fear Me,”     Says the Lord of hosts.

James 4:7-10(NKJV)
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 
Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Once again notice the order.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.  We have to make the initial invitation and the ongoing effort to build that relationship.  God will not force Himself on us.  He has too much respect for our free will.

So dig into the word and start building that relationship.  You won't believe how cool and comforting it is to have God always right there covering your back!

No comments:

Post a Comment