Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2017

On earth as it is in Heaven…


I have written before about what I think is the mistaken belief by many that we will all be rewarded equally in Heaven.  We are all saved by grace but our rewards in Heaven will be based on what we do for God.  Jesus said He goes to prepare a mansion for us but that doesn't mean we will all be living in the Penthouse Suite.  Some of us may find our rooms in the basement.  :)

I've then taken that belief about Heaven and transferred it to our lives here and now.  My basis for doing so is the Lord's Prayer.  You know, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Some believe that no matter what we do or do not accomplish here on earth, we should all be valued equally by society for our contributions or lack of contributions.  I believe that is incorrect.  First I believe it is incorrect because it doesn't follow the model of "on earth as it is in Heaven".  Secondly I think it is wrong because Scripture says so.  Read the following passage.

1 Corinthians 14:1-5(NKJV)
Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 
But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 
I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

So here we clearly have a situation where Scripture says one person's contributions are valued higher than another person's (and we are not talking about money here).  Now is this an isolated incident or is this the way things should be done?  Is it OK to value one person's contribution over another?

I believe it is.  Now let me be clear that I don't mean that we should be mean or look down on the person whose contributions are less valued.  Not at all.  I'm just suggesting that we should eliminate this silly belief that everyone's contributions should be valued equally.  Make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment