Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Common Christian

How did I settle on the name The Common Christian?  Well as with most everything else having to do with this journey, it "just popped into my mind". 

What do I mean by that?  It literally just popped into my mind.  Out of nowhere it seemed.  No real connection to other thoughts at the time, and with such a strong feeling of conviction or emotion attached to it that you just go "Wow, where did that come from"?

Have you ever felt that?  Where does that come from?  My belief is that it is God speaking directly to us through the Holy Spirit.  But is that belief backed up by scripture?  I have a general sense that it is but I couldn't point to an exact reference right now. 

Why not?  Because I'm not a Bible scholar (is that spelled correctly?  Spell check says it is but it doesn’t look right).  In fact I have no formal Bible training at all.  I'm just an ever day guy that has read and studied the Bible over the years who has observations and questions.  Just a "common Christian". 

What qualifies me to write this blog?  Nothing, other than the fact that it "just popped into my mind, and wouldn't leave".  As did the name. As did so many other things that led up to the creation of this blog.  Does that mean I always act immediately on all things that pop into my mind? 

Not always.  If it is something big or really different or even really off the wall, I take time to pray about it, to make sure I'm really getting the message correct (and truth be told, sometimes I'm praying that I have misinterpreted the message because it is so scary, or inconvenient, or whatever, and I don't really want to do it).  But I have found in my life that it is generally better to listen to that voice. 

 How about you?  Do you have the faith to follow the ideas that "just pop into your mind"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment