Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Fruits - Time with God

Does it matter when we have our time with God?  Does He really care? 

Personally, as long as we strive to be in the Word daily, I don't think God really gives a rip.  However, here is what I have found in my own life.  

I've found that the best time for me is at the beginning of my day.  Why?  It has to do with "First Fruits".  What made this tough for me is that I am a night person, so first thing in the morning wasn't my favorite time.  Here is how I came to this belief.

Throughout the Bible we hear about giving of "the First Fruits".  Well what does that mean exactly?  Giving of the first of the harvest, not what is left over.  Giving of the very best of the harvest, again, not the leftovers. 

What First Fruits exactly is God interested in?  All of them!  He wants the first fruits of our time.  We need to put our time commitments to God ahead of all other time commitments.  He wants the first fruits of our intellect.  He wants the first fruits of our attention.  He wants the first fruits of our physical abilities, and yes He wants the first fruits of our finances. 

Now does that mean you have to spend your time with God the minute you open your eyes?  Not necessarily.  You find what works for you.  Here is my schedule.  I wake up every morning and start my day with a cup of coffee in bed while I read the news from around the world.  I then make a list of any things that are bouncing around in my head of what I need to accomplish for that particular day.  The reason for the list is that it allows me to empty my mind and then I am better able to focus on God instead of "trying to remember all of these things that I have to do after my prayer and study time (is out of the way.  We never say that but we've all been there at one time or another.  Sometimes approaching our time with God in a rush because we have so much to do.) ". 

Now I spend my morning time with God.  I am able to focus on what God is trying to communicate to me that day from His word.  It allows me to relax and enjoy my time with God.  It allows me time to let the Holy Spirit lead me and guide me. 

So even though there are other times that "I" would prefer to spend my time in study and prayer I have found that if I spend my time with God in the "First Fruits" of the beginning of each day I tend to have a much better day!   Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment