Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Doubt - Is It OK?

What role should doubt play in a growing Christian's life?  I find that to be an interesting question that seems to be a growing trend in some Evangelical circles (thankfully not at VFC!)  I read this article this morning.
 
Christian leaders peddling doubt?


What is doubt.  Is it the same as questioning?  Let's look at the definition.

doubt
[dout]
verb (used with object)
1.
to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.
2.
3.
Archaic . to fear; be apprehensive about.

verb (used without object)
4.
to be uncertain about something; be undecided in opinion or belief.

noun
5.
a feeling of uncertainty about the truth, reality, or nature of something.
6.
7.
a state of affairs such as to occasion uncertainty.
8.
Obsolete . fear; dread.


Look at some of the phrases used in the definition.  "To be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe; distrust; a feeling of uncertainty about the truth, reality, or nature of something." 

OK, now what is one of the key tenants in our salvation?  Faith.  If we have believed in our hearts and confessed with our mouths that Jesus is Lord, then there should be no doubt of our salvation.  The big issue is settled. 

But does that mean that we give up our intellect and we no longer have questions?  Of course not.  The distinction I'd like to draw here is what I see as a difference between doubt and questions.  While I don't doubt the big picture at all, I have to admit that there are things in the Bible that make me go "Huh?"  That doesn't make sense to me.  What am I supposed to learn from that?  That seems contradictory.

Is it wrong to think those things?  Am I being disloyal or disrespectful towards God by even asking a question?  I think it depends on the spirit in which we are questioning.  I think that if we go at it from an unbelieving attitude (doubt) probably not a good way to go.  On the other hand if we are approaching those questions in an attitude of "God this doesn't make sense to me, please help me understand what I'm supposed to learn from this", I would think that is perfectly acceptable to God.

After all, we are told in the Bible that we are made in God's image.  Our intellect comes from God, our curiosity comes from God, our desire to learn comes from God.  We are told throughout the Bible to seek God's wisdom and knowledge.  Part of the learning process is to ask questions about things we don't understand.  So I actually think it would be an affront to God not to ask questions as I earnestly seek to learn more about Him.

But what about someone for whom the "big issue" isn't even settled yet?  What about those that actually do still have real doubts?  What about them?

My suggestion is this.  Keep seeking an answer diligently with an open heart.  Pray for guidance (even though you aren’t 100% convinced yet).  Visit different churches until you find one that "fits".  You might not be able to actually define what fit means but it just feels rights.  That small voice that is deep inside you that just lets you know.  Learn to listen for God's guidance through that small voice.   

If you'll learn to listen to that small voice I believe at some point, you'll be prompted to take that leap of faith.  As an example have you ever sat in a church service and they were talking about "accepting Jesus" and you could feel that little voice deep inside you telling you to do it but you held back for whatever reason?  In my opinion that is God talking to you.  He's giving you the guidance you have been looking for.  You don't have to have all of the answers ahead of time.  It's OK to still have some questions.  But on the big issue, take a leap of faith!

Accept Jesus into your heart.  If you've never done that before it is as simple as saying a prayer like this:

"Dear Jesus, I still have many questions but on the big issue, I do believe in my heart and confess with my mouth that I would like you to be Lord of my life.  Please help me learn more about you and answer the questions that I have but on the big issue I have made my decision to follow you. Amen!"

2 comments:

  1. I like how you pointed out that it is OK to question God, just make sure your motives are pure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that if you are going to question God that it needs to be for the right reasons (motives). That is why I was careful to frame it as "God, what am I missing here?" I'm making the assumption right up front that God is way smarter than me and knows what He is doing. I'm just asking Him to help me understand what I am missing. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete