Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Do you have a favorite?

Do you have a favorite?
Thursday, October 27, 2011
7:55 AM
Do you have a favorite book in the Bible?  I do.  I was reminded of this as I have been reading my notes from last year.  I was reading through Proverbs again.

We all have different learning styles, interests, personalities, and gifts so it should be no surprise that different books in the Bible speak to each of us differently.  What is so amazing to me though is how God uses the Holy Spirit to help reveal things in the Bible to us when we are ready to understand those things.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had the experience of reading through the Bible and all of a sudden going "Wow, I never noticed that before!".  It's almost like someone snuck into my Bible and added some verses that were not in there the last time I read that same book and chapter. 

Or how about when you are reading a section you have read many times and never really understood when all of a sudden it is like a light bulb going off in your mind as you suddenly "get it".  Again the Holy Spirit helps us make the connections when we are ready to understand. 

Or how about those times when we read something that we've read many times that didn’t have much meaning but this time because of some circumstances in our lives it speaks to us and helps guide us in a very real and practical way.  It's just so cool!

So anyway, as I mentioned above, I have always loved Proverbs.  I tend to be a right to the point kind of guy.  I love that Proverbs is right to the point.  Lots of good nuggets.  I'd love to have a screen saver that just rotated Proverbs on my screen all day.

Here are just a few nuggets to start your day with:

Proverbs 1:7(NKJV)
7    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,      But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:33(NKJV)
33    But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,      And will be secure, without fear of evil.”

Proverbs 3:5-6(NKJV)
5    Trust in the Lord with all your heart,      And lean not on your own understanding;
6    In all your ways acknowledge Him,     And He shall £direct your paths.

Proverbs 4:5(NKJV)
5    Get wisdom! Get understanding!     Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.

Great verses on the importance of seeking God's wisdom, understanding, and knowledge.

Proverbs 6:10-11(NKJV)
10    A little sleep, a little slumber,     A little folding of the hands to sleep—
11    So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler,     And your need like an armed man.

Several like this about the value of working hard.

Proverbs 6:28(NKJV)
28    Can one walk on hot coals,     And his feet not be seared?

I get a chuckle out of this one because yes you actually can.  I've done the firewalk before.  Barefoot over about 15-20 foot bed of burning and glowing embers.

Proverbs 12:4(NKJV)
4    An£ excellent wife is the crown of her husband,      But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones.

Ain't that the truth.  I'm fortunate to be blessed with one of those excellent wives!

Proverbs 15:22(NKJV)
22    Without counsel, plans go awry,      But in the multitude of counselors they are established.

Proverbs 11:14(NKJV)
14    Where there is no counsel, the people fall;      But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

A couple about the value of having counselors (mentors).

Proverbs 19:13(NKJV)
13    A foolish son is the ruin of his father,      And the contentions of a wife are a continual dripping.

Proverbs 21:9(NKJV)
9    Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,      Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

Proverbs 21:19(NKJV)
19    Better to dwell in the wilderness,      Than with a contentious and angry woman.

Proverbs 25:24(NKJV)
24    It is better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,      Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

Wow.  Sure were a lot of contentious women back then and apparently not a single contentious man in the whole country!  But seriously, great advice about not having contentious people in your life.

So if you are ever in need of some quick to the point nuggets from God, trying flipping over to Proverbs and give it a read!

3 comments:

  1. This has been one of my favorite posts. I think Psalms is one of my favorite books of the Bible. I love how poetic it is talks so much about praising God and how to live a Christ-like life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it's funny you should mention the Psalms. I was never a big fan until the last time I read them. As I read my notes from that time, the thing that appears over and over in my notes is how it is a great book of praise. Now I am a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yup! Thats what I love about it. We find it so easy to ask God for lots of things, but sometimes forget to/ find it hard to shower God with praises. Psalms can definitely help with that!

    ReplyDelete