Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Why am I blogging for Christ?

I have been a Christian since I accepted Christ in the 8th grade.  As part of my spiritual journey, since August 29, 2006 I have been keeping a Bible Reading Journal.

My goal is to be in the Word everyday.  But as the Word tells us, we all fall short...and so I don't always reach my goal.  Am I in that struggle?

How did I come to write a blog?  Well I think it is an interesting story and I'd like to tell you.  If I were to give my complete testimony in this post I could show how God has repeatedly guided my life in ways that I could never have imagined, and really could only see in retrospect.  Because this is a blog not a book, I am not going to go into that right now.  I will confine this to the blogger question.

About two years ago in my professional life I felt led to start writing my own commentaries.  Now that was a bit of a stretch for me and outside my comfort zone.  In high school I avoided all English classes that involved writing so it was something that I didn‘t feel very skilled at.  So I have been writing commentaries for over two years now.   The feedback I get from many people is that I have some writing skills.

As part of my daily Bible reading I read one chapter from the Old Testament and one chapter from the New Testament and then I keep a journal of what I got out of each days reading.  Some days there is lots of stuff.  Some days I don’t get anything  (Pretty sure that is my fault, not God’s!).

Anyway about two months ago God led me to go back and start reading my Bible Reading journal.  I’ve been keeping it since 2006 but I had never gone back and read anything I had written.  Not trying to be immodest but as I’ve read it I’ve found that there are some pretty good nuggets in there.  So a few weeks ago God dropped this idea into my mind that maybe I should do a blog or something.

A couple of weeks ago, at the start of the week I had a couple of things that really needed to get done.  The problem was that I just felt a bit out of sorts.  I just couldn’t get focused.  I’d be in my reading of the word, “trying to focus cause I had to get through it so I could get to work”.  (Yeah, I know, approaching my time with God with the wrong attitude.  Tell me you all haven't been there at one point or another!)  Instead of focusing I kept finding my mind wandering and daydreaming about this stupid blog idea!  As I’d read my writings I’d run across something and start thinking that would be a good one to write about.  Well this went on for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Wednesday as I sat staring out the window wrestling with this whole blog idea, not wanting to get sidetracked down a rabbit hole and wondering if it was something that I should do, it was as if God just leaned over my shoulder and said “Dude, why do you think I have been having you hone your writing skills for the last two years?” 

Wow!  I thought He was guiding me in that direction just to help my professional life.  Never occurred to me that He was thinking way ahead of me.  Guess that explains why He is God and I’m not.  Lol!  What was cool was as soon as I got that revelation and surrendered to the idea, the edginess and lack of focus disappeared.  I felt at peace and focused.  God is so cool!

So folks, that is my story.  What is the purpose of this blog?  To stir discussion and to build our faith through that discussion of God's Word. I will share some things that just make me go Wow, what a great God!  I will also share some questions that I have.  Come on, you know we all have them.  I raise some issues that make me question some of the things in the Bible.  Not from an overall big picture salvation standpoint but on some minor stuff.  And question, not from the standpoint of questioning my faith but from a standpoint of, “God I don’t get what you are trying to teach me here”.

My prayer is that God will guide me in what He wants me to write about to build the faith of all.  So with that explanation let's get started on this journey.  Please check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment