Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

When was the last time?

When was the last time you sat back, closed your eyes, and just opened up your whole being to communicate with God?  Now I don't mean to sound like some metaphysical hippie from the 70's so let me explain what I mean.

Maybe I'm different from most of you, but I guess probably not so much.  We live in a fast paced and focused world.  And so when I spend my time with God it is usually like the rest of my life.  Fast paced and focused. 

I get my Bible open and my Bible Journal opened and then I go to God in prayer asking that he bless this time of study.  As I pray sometimes it's like I'm going down a business agenda: please bless so and so, please be with so and so, please guide me in this, thank you for that, etc. etc. etc.  When I get to the end it's like; anything you need to tell me Lord?  Wait 10 seconds, OK, cool.  Thanks for all you do, see you tomorrow, Amen. 

Now obviously I'm not using those words, what I'm trying to convey here is the flow and the feeling of the exchange between me and God.  And it is not done in any way to be disrespectful of God or anything.   I'm just getting down to business with God.  God's busy, I'm busy, let's not waste time here.

But is that what God wants from us?  As I type this it is dawning on me that I am again dealing with a First Fruits issue.  I have learned to spend my time with God in the morning, giving him the first fruit of the day, but only as long as it doesn't take too long. 

Let me suggest something that I experienced today.  As I went through my litany of thank yous, praises, and requests, as I was at the end about to say Amen, God said "hold on a second, just chill".  I was led to just sit back and be quiet for a change.  I just silently communicated with God.  I just opened up my whole being as it were and started to have a real conversation with God. 

I told God how I was interpreting different things and He was telling me where I was getting it and where I wasn't.  What was the key?  Slowing down, taking a breath, and actually giving God the time He deserves.

So give it a try sometime.  When you are done praying, keep you eyes closed and your heart open and just listen to what God has to say for a change.  I can guarantee you will be blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment